Friday, March 21, 2014

Learning to Love Sanding--List of Bloggers

Started arduous sanding of side panels.  I hope to get them done and start on the building cradle this weekend.

Ready for Sanding
Here is part of the first panel ready to start sanding.  It's hard to tell from this picture but the epoxy is very glossy.

Getting Started









In this shot I have just started the sanding.  You can see dull areas and shiny areas.  The shiny areas are low spots, so when everything is uniformly dull, I'll have a very smooth surface.
A Bit Further Along








 Here I'm a bit farther along.  A lot more dull than shiny.
Ready for Finish Sanding











And in this shot, the initial sanding is finished.  No shiny spots.  I'll be sanding it down a bit smoother with a finer grit later.










I've added a list (below) of several other blog sites so you can get an idea of what others are doing and some examples of very fine work.  One of the best is not really a blog, just pictures (flickr.com) but they definitely tell the story.  

http://sunmonkeypocketship.blogspot.com/ 
http://pocketshipadventure.blogspot.com/
http://arniesark.blogspot.com/
http://petitbateaux-boat.blogspot.com/
http://pocketship.blogspot.com/
http://buildingpocketship.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35243545@N02/
http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus
http://leeboatworkspocketship.blogspot.com/






12 comments:

  1. Well, good to see your progress, but I will admit I'm a little insulted my blog didn't make the cut. You've got one from a guy who hasn't updated in 4 years but not mine! tsk tsk.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sorry about that! I just copied the list that was in Pocketship.net. Will remedy soon.

      Delete
    2. Hah, in reading it back it was much less funny and interesting than when I first wrote it. Sorry, didn't mean to sound that fired up. Wasn't -- at all -- thought it was amusing. Thanks for the shout out!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, you lost me completely there.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, that's a spammer .. I forget the name of the crawler but it posts gibberish in quasi-English. You might want to install the anti-spam mod available from blogspot.

      Delete
  3. All this boat building makes me wish I had a garage fully stocked with wood working tools.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you're just going to have to move away from NYC to a house with real trees and real grass--and somewhere near water. (Just kidding, I know how much you love your visits to upstate New York, and we got to see lots of trees and grass when we visited you in Brooklyn.) Anyhow, where there's a will there's a way. Pocketship would be a bit much, but if you look through the CLC website you'll see examples of folks who have built kayaks and small sailboats in city apartments. (Sometimes having to lower them out a window.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really helpful series of photos. I have two questions. First, do you sand until the epoxy is dull "completely" - as in no tiny shiny spots anywhere? On mine, I've sanded for a while and now when I move the plywood back and forth in the light I can see tiny shiny spots, maybe at the very bottom of the "weave". At first I thought I just needed to keep sanding until those are gone, but now I'm not sure because I don't want to over-sand. How do I know if I've over-sanded? There are patches that are somewhat "cloudy" looking, but when I run my finger over them I don't feel any of the fabric - it seems to still be hard epoxy. And I had a few areas where I could definitely tell the epoxy was higher than everything else, and they look "cloudy" too - a dull white color, more opaque than the surrounding sanded epoxy. I hope those questions made sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most important thing is to not sand into the fiberglass cloth. According to Russell Brown in "Epoxy Basics" tiny glossy spots are OK. I am going to try a toothed spreader I read about recently. I'll talk about the results in the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One thing I forgot to mention is that the pictures in my blog are of the sanding after the final "gloss coat." The epoxy was thick enough by then that I was able to sand out all the glossy spots (at least all that I could see).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, I've got to weigh in one more time. You should not sand the wetting out (first) coat or the fill (second) coat. Instead you should apply the coats that follow each of those before they are cured to get a chemical bond. Only the final gloss coat is sanded.

    ReplyDelete