Sunday, September 7, 2014

Gluing Up the Mast

It was finally cool enough (70s) this weekend to glue the mast together.
Here I am cleaning up some of the squeeze-out after epoxying three sides of the mast together.  I didn't get pictures, but there is a 32" piece of 2x2 inside the base of the mast and a 16" piece of 1x1 tapered to fit in the tip-top end of the mast.  A pivot will be inserted through the mast near the top end of the 32" piece so the mast can be lowered for trailering and storage.  Several pieces of hardware will be installed near the top and bottom of the mast, so the the 16- and 32-inch plugs will strengthen those areas for that purpose.
The fourth side has been added and glued in place.  I used every clamp I could find that was large enough to fit.  Even so, I'm not sure I used enough.  The instructions are not clear on this but I think you are supposed to glue all sides at the same time.  I didn't have nearly enough clamps for that, so glued three sides and the plugs yesterday and added side four today.

2 comments:

  1. Gluing the mast in two step seems like a good idea. Like you, I was concerned by how many clamps were shown in the manual -- far more than what I have. Do you have any recommendations or reservations about your technique now that you have finished it? Everything line up properly with a nice, straight mast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worked very well. Only problem was squeeze-out by plugs which would have kept side 4 from seating properly. Easily removed with heat gun and putty knife. As to nice and straight, well as good as can be expected with my woodworking skills. :-)

      Delete