Sunday, December 29, 2013

Centerboard Trunk, Noseblock


The high today is predicted to be 31 degrees (yesterday's high was 61), so rather than heat the garage I'm curing the glue on the centerboard trunk and noseblock (bullet-shaped piece at the front end of the keel) blank indoors.  The keel, when viewed from below, will have an airfoil-like shape, i.e., bullet nose widening to 1 3/4", staying at that width along the trunk, then tapering to 3/4" from the centerboard trunk back to the transom (squared-off piece at the back of the boat).
Glued Centerboard Trunk and Noseblock Blank Curing in Dining Room
The blank from which the noseblock will be milled is supposed to be 2 1/4" x 4 1/4" x 18", so I am gluing together two 18" 2x6's to get the size wood block I need.  A "2x6" these days is only about 1 1/4" x 5 1/4", but two of these laminated together will give me a 2 1/2" by 5 1/4" chunk, so that will work.


I'll try to find some more indoor jobs I can do today without heating the garage, but first I have to help Jan make datenut bread. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Dana, when you use a product, can you tell us the exact name? For instance the glue, I'm fascinated that glue alone can hold the two chunks of 2x6s together for the noseblock.

    (Where's my loaf of nut bread, too?)

    ReplyDelete