Sunday, August 2, 2015

Painting the Hull, Part 2

The entire hull bottom and sides have had several coats of paint applied and waterline is painted in:


I plan to add one more coat to the blue side panels, but that can wait until after the boat is flipped back over.

You can also see a small blue patch up on the side of the keel.  I have installed the centerboard and pivot, and each end of the pivot is held in with a plug made of thickened epoxy.  The blue patch is masking tape used to keep the thickened epoxy off the paint.  After puttying in the plugs on each side, another piece of tape was added to hold the plugs in place while they cure.

I used a laser level to draw the waterline, and as it approaches the stern on the bottom of the hull the line becomes wider.  It's a little hard to see that in this photo--I should have shot it from a higher angle.  Anyway, I saw pictures on the web showing that other builders painted the widening area, so I did the same. 

After I shot the pictures I installed the bow eye, and I have painted the cabin ceiling--easier to do while the boat is upside down.  As I said, the centerboard is installed, so the boat is about ready to flip back over.  I'll wait a week to let the paint harden some more--I'm planning to flip it next Saturday evening, so I'll be sending out flyers soon for the re-flippin' party.  I still have some areas to rub out smoother on the hull bottom, and then I'm going to wax the bottom up to the chines (sharp bend where the hull bottom meets the side panels).  But I'll have plenty of time to do all that this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment