Friday, August 28, 2015

Topsides and Cockpit Painting Started

I finally finished sanding the remaining sections for painting.  Looks like I forgot to take pictures of that.

I painted the so-called primer coat today. The topsides panels, companionway hood, and inside the cockpit have all got a coat of white primer and will be finished an off-white that closely matches the hull bottom.
I say "so-called" because most of the primer will be sanded back off.  That is, it is not really a primer in the old sense that it helps the paint adhere to the boat's surface.  Instead, it is thickened to fill in the low areas.  After most of it is sanded off, only the low areas are left painted, leaving a much smoother surface.  All but the worst flaws are hidden. The rub rails, toe rails and a couple other mahogany pieces are masked off and will be varnished after the painting is finished and has cured sufficiently.

I'll be adding at least three coats of paint to the topsides panels and inside the cockpit.  One more coat of blue will be added to the side panels. As you may remember, the inside of the cabin is painted with a good quality exterior house paint.  I have a bit more filling, sanding, and painting to do in there, but I may hold off and do that this winter so I can go ahead and launch the boat before it is too cold--the cabin can wait.

After the topsides and so on are painted I have to finish sanding and painting the companionway slide.  It also has a mahogany strip that will be varnished.

Then, after all that is done I have to apply three coats of epoxy to the mast, spars, and tabernacle to protect them from the elements (the boom gallows and tiller have already been epoxied).  Then they will all be varnished to protect them from UV rays!  The rudder has been epoxied and painted to match the boat, but I still have to install it.

Then I can finally start on the "fitting out" which includes installing the port lights and all the blocks (pulleys), rigging, stays, sail tracks, electrics, etc., etc.  I'm still hoping to launch sometime in October, but it's going to be tough.

3 comments:

  1. Dana,
    What is the primer that you are using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have You got a plan of this boat Please ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I have sold the boat and plans. You can get a copy from CLCboats.com.

    ReplyDelete