Thursday, September 24, 2015

A Major Milestone

I have most of the boat itself finished, except for the interior of the cabin which I may wait until winter to work on.  The boat is now living outside so I have room to work on the spars and, more importantly, get Jan's car back in there!  Here's a shot of the boat now sitting out in the yard.  It's a bit over-exposed so there is some lack of detail, especially at the bow end.

Another shot from the stern end:

I got the dropboards (actually they are acrylic) assembled and in place.  The lock won't do much to prevent entry, but at least it will require breaking in, which should keep casual thieves away.
I don't have a shot yet, but this morning I added a lip on the companionway hatch slide so it covers more of the dropboards.  I'm afraid, though, that the lip will just channel the water to each side where it can pour right in--we'll just have to see.  Still, it won't be much of a problem, just a bit of water I'll have to pump out now and then. [UPDATE: Yesterday I noticed near the back of the manual that you are supposed to insert a block under the hasp to move the hatch back over the drop boards about 1 1/2", so rain won't flow into the cabin.  I'm working on that now.]

Here's a shot of the solar panel now that it is installed.  I'm amazed that I was able to find a panel with dimensions that almost exactly match the companionway hood.  It's almost as if it were designed for this boat.
My next job is to finish the mast, spars (boom and gaff), tiller, gallows, and tabernacle.  I have those items all built, but what I have to do now is drill a few holes here and there, cover each part with three coats of epoxy, then three or more coats of varnish.  I anticipate that taking two-to-three weeks, and then I do the rigging.  I am still on schedule (just barely) to get the boat on the water before it gets too cold.

7 comments:

  1. It looks good and sounds like you are making real progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! Looks great. Can't wait to see it in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know its been a while since you posted this but do you know the brand and where you purchased the color panel? Thanks

    -Pocketship builder and sailor of Candy-o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. My boat is stored at a lake so I'll check for the brand and model when I'm out there. I replied to your question in October of 2015 where I said I thought it might be a NaturePower 40 watt. Looking on their website I don't see one that looks the same as my picture, although it might be their 25-watt Semiflex. They don't give the dimensions though, so I can't be sure. I'll try to get out there in the next few days and see if there is a label showing the information you need.

      Delete
    3. John, I just got back from inspecting my boat. The solar panel is a GANZ e eco-energy GSP-40. I'm pretty sure I bought it at E Marine Systems: https://www.emarineinc.com/categories/Ganz-Solar-Panels. You might find it somewhere else at a better price.

      Delete