Saturday, September 5, 2015

Cockpit and Topsides Sanded and Painted

The next step is sanding the primer before final painting.
Most of primer sanded off in cockpit


Most of primer sanded off on topsides and companionway hood
You can tell from these photos that most of the primer has been sanded off, leaving only the low areas, scratches, and other defects.  Seems like a waste, but what remains is very smooth, and I guess having very little primer left means I did a pretty good job smoothing in the first place!

This morning I painted on the first of the finish coats in the cockpit, on the topsides, and on the companionway hood.
Cockpit -- first coat

Topsides and companionway hood--first coat
 If you look carefully at these photos (click on them to blow them up) you will see brush strokes and other flaws.  Each coat is very thin, but as you will see the subsequent coats will look much better.  A reminder, the blue strips are masking off mahogany that will be varnished (bright finished).

You can't tell from these photos, but the cockpit footwell floor, the upper deck, and the anchor well floor are mostly unpainted.  They will be covered by non-slip mats that have adhesive backings.  The mats stick very well to painted surfaces, but they probably stick even better to unpainted areas, and why waste the paint?  When I photograph subsequent coats I'll try to remember to show those areas.

In the below shots, you can see that I have finished painting the topsides.  I have also peeled off the masking tape on the rub rails and some of the port toe rail.  I like to peel the tape off before the paint has cured completely, but decided to stop at this point because it's still a little too soft.
Topsides Panels and Companionway Hood Painted

You can't tell from the above photo, but I will have to sand and repaint the top of the companionway hood.  I had allowed the paint to get too low in the roller tray and it was starting to cure, which prevented me from getting the smooth surface I wanted.  Repainting will be a fairly easy job, and I may wait and do it this winter.  There are a couple small "holidays" inside the cockpit that I will also repair at that time.

Inside Cockpit Painted

In the above shot of the cockpit you can see the unpainted section on the floor of the footwell, where I will be installing a non-slip mat.
Cockpit Front and Cabin Deck
Part of the cabin deck is also left unpainted.   Two more nonslip mats will be attached on each side of the deck, and there will be a couple mats forward in the anchor well.  The mats are especially needed on the cabin deck because I will have to walk on it to access the anchor well.  And as I said earlier, the non-slip mats in the anchor well will make it safer, and also help prevent damage by the anchor.
You can also see one of the areas I have yet to finish inside the cabin.  Again, I may wait until winter to finish working in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment