Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Starting Installation of Mast and Spars

Here's a test fit of the tabernacle, mast, and bowsprit.  Gives a little better idea of how things will come together:

I have finished coating the tabernacle and mast with epoxy and then coating them with varnish.  Here they are mounted on the boat:
You can see the pivot bolt at the top of the tabernacle.  When I get everything rigged, the mast will swivel upright for sailing and back down for trailering. 

Here's a closer shot of the sail track on the mast.  The mainsail will come with "cars" attached that will slide along on the track when raising or lowering sail:

The other three spars (bowsprit, gaff, and boom) have had all three coats of epoxy applied.  Now they just need sanding and varnishing.  I'm still waiting for the sails,which should come in some time next week.

5 comments:

  1. looking great! Did you add a shore-power connection for charging/running purposes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, although as you know it plugs in on land by my house. Doubt if I'll ever plug it into marina power anywhere, but who knows? I found a nifty one at Academy Sports that allows you to simply attach an AC plug (from a power strip in this case) to the inside of the hull-through. Of course it has a flap to keep the water out and I installed it just under the rub rails for more protection from the elements.

      Delete
  2. What solar panel did you use. That panel looks great and what a fit! Boat looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure it is a NATUREPOWER 40 watt. It's expensive, around $400, because it is semiflexible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed the picture of your mast and the sail track attached. Hope you used 3/4" screws and not 1/2" like I did. The short ones will pull out in a brisk wind especially out of soft spruce. Mine have since been replaced!

    ReplyDelete